Sunday, November 05, 2006

Mimsical

I learned my lesson on the first challenge and deliberately worked small this time (9 x 12, shrank down to 8 5/8 x 11 5/8 inches from all the quilting). When I began I had just finished "slaying" my DD's halloween costume, and this piece was meant to be in celebration of that accomplishment. I wanted it to be all happiness and light, ala Disney's version of Alice in Wonderland (just returned from a trip to Disneyland last week, so my head was full of bright, whimsical imagery).

As you can see, however, the fabrics I ended up choosing are anything but bright and cheery. I was rather surprised by how dark and menacing it came out. I don't usually work that way. I guess I've been more stressed out than I realized. I forgot the part about the textural element, and was relieved that my choices turned out to be very textural-looking patterns. That meant I didn't have to add anything more and could finish on time.

There is no special meaning to my images. I started with the dark curvy part at the bottom left. It is supposed to be a stylized sea. The orange and green parts are flowers and leaves in reference to the tree that was mentioned. Everything else in the poem I ignored, except the slaying part mentioned earlier.

Free-motion quilting finally clicked for me. When I pay attention to the rhythm of of the machine, kind of a tick-tock where the feed dogs would usually move the fabric forward, I move the fabric along with it. Fast or slow, this turns out right. The moment my mind starts wandering is when the stitching goes awry. I was very pleased with the jerky nature of the quilting around the appliques. It seemed to fit the mood of the piece, although would not go well in everything I do.

The binding is fused and machine stitched, 1/2 inch strips folded in half and ironed down to make approximately 1/4 inch binding. The mitering is cut. I did not sew or fold the miters.

I am anxious to hear any and all comments and critiques about the design, workmanship, what the imagery reminds you of, etc. I love to hear new viewpoints that I'd never thought of and you won't hurt my feelings in the least.

No matter how many times I tried to upload the detail image, I couldn't do it, so here is the Yahoo link to it: http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/fastfridayfabricchallenge/photos/view/9f0f?b=54.

4 comments:

Jax said...

This is such a bright and cheerful piece I don't see it as dark and menacing at all... I think the lower left corner looks great I love that layered overlapping of the colors it gives it texture so I think you have captured texture as well.

Great piece of work!!!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Laura,
I've enjoyed looking at your piece...I really like the colors and fabrics you chose. It feels cheery, crisp and neat. I can't tell if there any quilting in the background, but the quilting on the leaves and around the flowers looks great. The composition seems balanced and the use of the orange color in the scattered flowers and the element in the lower right and the binding unifies the whole piece very well. My only comment is: what could you change to add more surprise/unpredicability? This piece reminds me of Jane Sassaman's work. Have you noticed how she always has something unexpected, mysterious or dangerous mixed in with all the gorgeous flowers & leaves? It adds alot of drama. That's what I'm referring to on your piece. It's a charming piece as it is...but would it be a knockout if it was just a bit edgier, less perfect ?

I look forward to seeing lots more of your work!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Laura - I really like this work - I think the colors attract me first and then the interesting shapes. The work you have done in the corner really grounds the piece and sets the stage for the free-floating elements in the rest of the quilt. The free motion quilting in the leaves adds good texture and dimension.

I like Cynthia's comment about your work being reminiscent of Jane Sassaman's - Jane is one of my favorite quilt artists. It would be interesting to take this work and base a larger piece on it incorporating the "edgy" factor Cynthia mentioned. I'd enjoy seeing more of your work.

Roberta

laura west kong said...

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful critiques!

Jacque:
You're right it really isn't dark and menacing when I look at it on its own. It only gave that impression in comparison to how I originally imagined it.

Cynthia:
The background quilting is navy on navy because I was using it as a practice piece and wanted it to look good in spite of the inevitable blunders when first learning to free-motion quilt.

Funny you should mention a resemblance to Jane Sassaman, I am a long-time fan of hers. Yes, she does always include the thorns or whatever that is really there in the natural world. I tend to omit things. On a recent quilt of roses, I left out not only the thorns, but also practically all of the branches and stems too. I'm going to think a lot about unpredicatability/mystery and try to apply it in the next challenge.

Roberta:
Jane Sassaman is one of my favorites too. I won't rule out making a larger, edgier version of this one someday either. That could be interesting. I need some time to work out making the edginess my own.