Friday, January 05, 2007

The Boxcar Children


This is my first post to the blog and I have been looking around this morning at others entries as well. It's amazing to see the quality difference between the photos on the yahoo site and this one. The quality of the photos here is much better I think. Anyway, this is my submission for the 4th challenge and although I think there is a good deal to be desired in the "value" area, I think the "contrast" aspect is captured with the silhouettes.
The book I chose is an all time favorite from my childhood called The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. I purposely used silhouettes in my piece because the illustrator in the book also used silhouettes throughout the book although none showed them in front of a bakery......this is my own design. The first line of the book is, "One warm night four children stood in front of a bakery." (L-R: Violet, Jessie, Benny and Henry).
The bakery window is constructed of pictures of pastries and baked goods taken from the web, printed on fabric and then cut up and fused into a vague suggestion of what might appear in a bakery window. This is then covered in tulle and that is covered with a piece of clear vinyl so as to get a reflection much like you would get in a window.
I sort of missed the "value" aspect of the challenge while concentrating on the contrast aspect. I need to work on value and this challenge shows me just how true that is. I absolutely love these challenges as I learn more each time I do one, not only from my own work, but from the work of all of us together. Thanks in advance for any comments you wish to make on this piece.

4 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Deb - I too loved the Boxcar Children book. I think you have captured the feeling of the book quite well - the use of the vinyl to add gleam to the window really worked well. Although there's no extreme use of value (other than the silhouettes in black) the picture has plenty of contrast and tells its story well.

Roberta

Marlene said...

I loved those books, too. Love your interpretation. No critique needed as you are quite capable of zeroing in on the value issue. The contrast is superb, though and really captures the scene. Keep up the good work.

Marlene

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Deb, The silouettes are beautifully done...so expressive. I wish I could see in the window just a bit better...it looks interesting in there but hard to make out (I can use my imagination though!). I love the brick work of the building...is that fabric or did you piece it?
Good job, Deb and I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

Hi Deb,
Great job with the value, even though you didn't intentionally focus on it, it still came out intuitively! I like the variety in the children's silhouettes (their hair, clothes, postures, etc) and the variety in the bricks. The use of the vinyl is effective too. Was it easy to work with? I've sometimes contemplated using it in a project now and then.
laura