Monday, February 05, 2007

A Bowl of Flowers


I tried creating dimension by depicting a corner, as where a hall might lead off from a room, and made the shape and shading to indicate that turn-off. The material for the flowers were scraps that I was given during a recent stay in a Mayan village in Belize; I later found one more piece that I had cut to fill part of the upper right of the arrangement, but since the whole piece is already mounted on foamcore, I will leave it off. I did think of maybe making a backing for it, stiff enough so I could tack it on so it would come out of the picture a bit.

Going with the directive to crop the picture, I originally had some of the flowers at the top and left being cut off by the border, and that just felt wrong. So the background gets cropped; I'd rather violate one of the guidelines than the integrity of the piece.

3 comments:

Linda Cline said...

Your shading for the corner is quite effective. I too would have wondered if your quilt was flat if you had not said. Although I think it might be easier to admire the flowers if the odd shape of the quilt didn't demand so much attention.

The shading on the bowl and the shadows give a lot of dimension to your quilt as well.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, looks like you had fun with this. I really like the bowl with it's unusual coloration and great shading. Good job!
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

Good for you for following your artistic vision. You considered the cropping and had a reason for leaving it off and that's good enough for me. It's neat that you used such an interesting shape. What a special way to use the fabric from your trip. I like the way the flowers are coming out of the bowl at all angles. It's very lively.