Sunday, February 04, 2007

A penny for a spool of thread I





9.5"x9.5"

I had fun bringing out all my old black and white prints. I especially liked the part about the cropping; it was a challenge at first, but I will be sure to explore closely cropped images again. I like the way it gives a little sense of mystery. My original intentions were to make the still life more abstract, but in the end I decided realistic would be quicker since I wouldn't have to do so much trial and error to get the shapes, shadows, and everything right. A bad batch of Wonder Under caused the pieces to start falling apart, so I called it done at one border. The applique is raw edge, my first time not completely covering all the edges. I don't want to add a sleeve because that would cover up the picture (the border's only 3/4"). Any suggestions on how to hang it? If you want to see the top before the quilting, it's here on my blog.

5 comments:

brendaj said...

Hi Laura.
This is great, both front and back. I love the colors and how you did the highlighting and shading. I think someone mentioned using the plastic rings for hanging; you can get them on the notions wall at JoAnn's. Some people also use pop can tabs (let's not start another discussion on "pop" vs "soda" though LOL). You really nailed this challenge!
Brenda

Tina Marie Rey said...

Very well done! I love it! I really enjoy the way you did the shadowing on the spools wth the various shades of the spools actual color. Great quilting too!

Linda Cline said...

Wow. Great colors. Great shading and reflections. I wouldn't change a thing.

You could make small loops out of fabric and put them along the top edge. If you haven't finished the edges yet, you could add a narrow facing no wider than the border, and catch the loops into the facing seam.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Well, Laura, you did it again! It's wonderful! The cropping plus all your shadows and reflections along with the fun b&w background makes this a winner. I'm not even going to say my usual thing about edginess....because this has accomplished that, too.
Congrats!
Cynthia

laura west kong said...

Thanks everyone for your hanging suggestions and comments. Cynthia-I'm so glad I got the edginess this time!