Sunday, July 01, 2007

Africa Inspirations


This is my quilt for Challenge #10. About a year ago, I made a little quilt using some shark's teeth from an old necklace that I'd had for years. I loved the way that the quilt turned out, but had no more shark's teeth, so then I went on a mission buying shark teeth on e-bay! Who knew they came in such varieties? These are a long, ivory variety--don't ask me what kind of shark they are from! I also have some little shiny black ones that I intend to use someday.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

This one made me go, Oh Wow.... I love the vibrant colors and play of black and orange!

Great job!

Roberta Ranney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Elizabeth - I find this piece very appealing. I am drawn to the vivid colors and stark contrast with the black and white. The addition of the cheese cloth behind the sharks' teeth gives them a nice emphasis. Did you dye or paint it or was it just sitting in your stash waiting for this moment?

Another element that holds this piece together so well is the repetition of points - the half square triangles and the bottom section of triangular shapes. They emphasize the sharpness of the teeth.

Congratulations on a very attractive composition.

Roberta

PS - the above "comment deleted" was mine since I realized I hadn't said all I wanted to say I deleted it and started over.

Tina Marie Rey said...

Very well done. I agree with Roberta 100% - the composition is perfect. Your eyes move well along the reds and the sharks teeth look great in the row of threes. It has good movement and good balance.