Sunday, July 29, 2007

What Would Mondrian Quilt?


Piet Mondrian immediately came to mind for this challenge. A late-night run to Walmart for supplies (I don't own any solid color fabrics), and the fabric is cheap 65/35 broadcloth for that reason. My machine does NOT like to sew that fabric, hence things tended to get a bit wonky when starting and stopping. How would the artist have done the quilting if he had worked in fabric? My decision was geometric, a simple square spiral, the width of my presser foot. Working with an 8.5x11" size in mind, the actual design is minimal in order to have enough room for quilting. It's straighter than it looks in the picture - but that broadcloth warps out of shape all too easily. Perhaps I will do another, of quality cotton fabric, and in a larger size. Certainly the next time I could be a bit more original in my choice of design. -Marilyn

4 comments:

Tina Marie Rey said...

Even though you had a bit of trouble with the fabric itself, you made it work! The lines and color are graphic and well placed. The quilting lines help accentuate the rigidness of the piece. Good Job!

Linda Cline said...

Great interpretation of Mondrian. You could try blocking it to square it up again.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Marilyn,
You certainly captured the crisp lines, primary colors and simple elegance of Mondrian...great job! And the quilting lines reinforce the design nicely. My eye goes to the yellow block first, then the red then down to the blue, so i think you were successful in creating focal points with color contrast to move the eye around the piece. I'd love to see you do another in this style!
Cynthia

brendaj said...

Hi Marilyn,

Great job; I think that is exactly how Mondrian would have quilted it!