Sunday, July 01, 2007

Waterfall


31.5" x 13.5"

I scoured AC Moore for my purchased item, and a bag of "Iridescent Decorating Shred" cost $4.99, so was just under the limit -- not that I used all of it! It looks like Easter basket grass, except white/clear/silver, probably meant for wedding decoration. Adding the shred was the last step. I made a very thin mat of calypso blue Angelina and used that to partly couch the shred, which, by the way, is awful stuff to work with, and if this ever goes anywhere, it will have to be ve-e-e-ry carefully packed! I used some holographic film thread to hold it together.

The ducks came from a photo I got in New Zealand, a wonderful zoom shot that was only apparent as such when I could see it on the computer. You could actually see a drop of water dripping off the duck's bill! I did a little touch-up with a blue-metallic pen to adjust the ripples at the base of the waterfall, and a little bit of gold to highlight the ducks.

4 comments:

Elizabeth in NM said...

You used the irredescent shred very effectively for the waterfall! Nice shimmer effect. And I like the way that you encorporated the leaf prints in the upper right, and along the bottom of the quilt. Beautiful quilt.
--Elizabeth in NM

Roberta Ranney said...

Hello Tobi - You've created a place that I want to go. It is lush with ferns and forest and a beautiful waterfall. Wish I could walk out my door and spend the afternoon there.

You made great use of the "decorating shred" although it does look like it would be a pain to work with. Nice work right down to the serene little duck.

Roberta

Tina Marie Rey said...

Very nice piece. You were very successful with the contrast you have in value between the blue water and the green leaves and foliage. what fun to use the shred like that. Super job.

Betty Donahue said...

I love your waterfall. I will have to look for that Decorating Shred. It looks like something I would enjoy using.
Betty