Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ala Klee


Several artists came to mind immediately when I read this challenge: Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Georgia OKeeffe, and Paul Klee. I had just done a tiny calla lily quilt for a memorial service, so I wanted to find another motif/design concept. So I turned to Paul Klee.

Klee's Ancient Sound: Abstract on Black spoke to me of blocks in hand dyed fabric. I used only two cuts of hand dye (purple to green, and gold) plus the black. While the photo doesn't show it, the black is extensively quilted for texture, and there are creases in the greens that add to the effect.
I'm thinking now that I could have added a small piping to outline the blocks (6x6") and highlight the central design. Critiques are welcome! And thanks in advance!

4 comments:

Tina Marie Rey said...

Very graphic - good placement of color. The quilting lines being in colors helps add movement to the piece without distracting from the central unit.
Very Successful! Good Job!

Linda Cline said...

I have often thought about Klee as a quilter who paints. Alot of his paintings could so easily be directly translated into cloth.

The three fabrics you have chosen for your quilt look wonderful together. The quilting in the border really adds to the piece.

In Klee's painting, he didn't really use so much black. The outer squares are mostly very dark shades. It might have been interesting to add some darker squares of hand dyes in your borders.

A lot of the squares in Klees painting aren't square. What if you cut your squares a little off to give a less rigid look to your quilt.

Great work.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, this is lovely! We like the same colors...I would have chosen the same ones. The gold is so eye-catching, glowing against the darkness. I like some of Linda's ideas for possibilities, too. It might be a subtle surprise to break up some of the black with some other dark colors...,maybe just 1 value step lighter so you don't see it at first, but adds further interest. Also, did you consider using curved quilting lines for a contrast? That would add some unpredicability to the piece.

It's a striking piece, congrats!
Cynthia

brendaj said...

I'm not sure what to say except I really like this.

Great job!