Sunday, July 29, 2007

Mountain Pass (Chamonix and Martigny)


10" x 13"

I had in mind first M.C. Escher, and actually bought some fabric for a tessellated picture, but the fabric wasn't quite right for a real Escher effect, so I googled "landscape artists" and found John Robert Cozens, an18th century English artist. I liked his muted but mostly pale palette, but found it difficult to get my picture pale enough. I used the back side of the fabric for the brown hillside and the sky, but even after that, it was too bright. I finally layered two layers of fine white gauze over everything, with a bit more in the sky for the cloud layer, and did some thread-painting.
My intent was to avoid making too slavish a copy but to create a similar feel. It all came together much faster than anything else I've done!

3 comments:

Tina Marie Rey said...

This piece has a very calming feel as much of Cozen's work does. I think this piece is very successful in taking an artists style and incorporating it with your own.

Linda Cline said...

I like the line of details along the close ridge (trees?) And you have a wonderful misty cloud effect accross the mountains.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi,
I like that you interpreted Cozen's painting rather than copy it. It has a similiar feel of cold remoteness. The focal point is defined well with higher contrast where the 2 bare peaks meet the snowy mountain. You also achieved alot of texture with your fabric choices and adding the gauze...very nice!
Cynthia