Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fishing Bridge



Easily completed since I had the small pieces of fabric already cut. I wanted to create a picture in the style of the wonderful old master, Claude Monet. When/If I try this method again I will use even smaller pieces so as not to get the stringy effect as seen in this piece. I used a solid piece of fabric for the sky and then took the various colors of fabric and placed them around to construct the picture. I then layered a piece of black tulle over all of this, pinned it down (but not enough since they easily move around when rolled) and quilted like crazy to hold everything together. I thought the frame using a woodgrain fabric worked well.

7 comments:

Tina Marie Rey said...

I think that the "stringy" look you refer to is what gives this piece its depth and texture! I love the tool over it as it adds another layer. The variation in colors within the same color value really helps add depth as well. This piece is very successful, as it shows you were inspired by the artist, but yet created your own piece of work with your own style and technique. Good Job!

LAQuilts said...

How much smaller pieces would you use - an idea for holding them in place is Sulky KK2000 for temporary hold. I do like the little red to keep you in the picture.

Linda Cline said...

You have made a piece with wonderful depth. The technique was great for water; makes it looks like it's rippling and sparkling. The border seems distracting to me, but that might just be my preference for narrow borders or facing. Great work.

Linda Cline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

I really like your piece and the wonderful painterly quality it has. As Linda stated earlier, the wide border/frame is a bit distracting. A narrower width would showcase the center much better - but that's just my opinion. What size is the quilt?

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan,
I love what you've done with the light and shadow in this piece. And the flashes of yellow, red and orange really add a spark. It's a lovely piece using the Monet style, but yours uses more pure hues which is a delight!
Great job!

Cynthia

PS I agree with Linda and Ann about the border...it boxes the beautiful scene in too much...it would look more expansive without the border.

brendaj said...

Hi Jan,

I love this piece; it really has that impressionistic feel; trapping under tulle is a fun technique, isn't it.

I actually like the size of the border, but just as an afterthought, what if the border were made with the same technique and the "spiky's" would sort of overlap into the picture; that could be interesting.

Great job!