Saturday, January 02, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes


I chose the Bisquick box for the colors Yellow, Blue, Red. All the pieces are cut free-hand with scissors..I fringed the place mat and raw-edge finish on all edges.

For the vase I used a sheer scarf and white sheer fabric for the water line on the vase.Leaves and stems cut from Gold(yellow)
embellished red velvet. One button flower and the large rusty-red flower was a gift from my secret pal..I cut the clip off the back and glued it to the stem.

The last ingredient...the syrup...I poured acrylic paint onto the pancakes and tilted the quilt to let the "Syrup" drip. I want to put a bit more "Syrup" on the pancakes...but the first "syrup" has to dry or it will drip off the plate. This was a real experiment not sure it would work!!

The fork is fake fur.

When I started reading about this challenge there were lots of references and good ones too...I wanted to get started on my challenge so I skipped down to Pamela Allen...She is a favorite of mine..I kind of do her style and always did the free-hand scissor cutting because...I can't draw but I can cut...And I did cut the edges of my quilt uneven!!

10 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Janice, I love this wonky style. I can certainly see the Pamela Allen resemblance. What a great idea to 'pour' your acrylic syrup...so effective! Makes me hungry for pancakes. Guess I'll go make breakfast (brunch? ). Nice interpretation of the challenge. You nailed it!
Cherie

Jan said...

The syrup definitely makes this a unique quilt. The colors coordinate so well into a fun little quilt. Food job!

janice pd said...

Janice you interpreted the color scheme very well. I like the uneven edge and the blueberry pancakes. I wonder if a little brighter yellow acrylic accents on the syrup would make it pop more? Very fun piece.

Pam Harris said...

Janice,
I like the whimsy of your quilt and you did a great job with the theme and colors of the Bisquick box. The flower sums it up with the big smile.

Joni said...

Janice, your fun quilt is looking good enough to eat! I like the fresh look of the blueberries, and the syrup is a nice touch. Good Job.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Janice - What fun your little quilt is. You did a good job of interpreting the colors from the box. I particularly like your idea of pouring on the paint. It looks as if it is going to work. And who could resist a fake fur fork? Too cool.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Nice job, and of course the syrup is just a very unique idea.
Ditto to everything about, it's great.

Carole said...

A very good interpretation of the the 'product' colors.. did they evoke a 'hunger'? by any chance? It makes me feel hungry looking at it and what a great way to show the syrup... just pour!
Good job on the challenge.

FoulkeArt said...

What a delicious way to use that blueberry fabric! This is a delightful piece.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Janice, good to see your work again! This is a fun and lively piece...definitely a smile maker. I'm wondering if a couple pats of yellow butter would be nice?
Cynthia