Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Challenge #41- The Source




My little quilt this month is kind of a disappointment. I love the quilt, but don't feel I really got the fractured part. I tried for several hours to make the fractures make sense to me and could not produce a good result to my design sense. Gave up and went with the sheer bubbles to give a "kind of" fractured appearance.




My intension was to get the center portion to be a lighter value to depict light radiating from the "Source" I free cut the fabrics and auditioned onto different grounds but couldn't get the composition to make sense to me. I must be missing some element. I think next time I will use a black and white patterned design with no real subject with color in the fractures to see if I can get it to make sense to me.  Finished size is 11.5" x 17"


8 comments:

Jan said...

There are many different ways to fracture a piece and I think with your sheer bubbles you have have accomplished that. I like your choice of colors, their values, shades, and tints and your quilting has made this a very nice little piece! Great work!

Joni said...

Rhonda, I love you little dragon! I think you have done a great job on this challenge. Your new approach to fragmentation works well and adds depth and character to your piece. Your quilting adds a lot of texture and interest, especially to the dragon.

Carole said...

Rhonda, I like this piece. I have been looking at it all week and studying it. It seems to me your threadwork would be a form of fracturing. This dragon has a lot of personality and to literally be fracturing I think, would destroy the overall. And I like the sheer bubbles which add another dimension.
Well done!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Perfect world for your dragon. Love the background and your quilting really adds to it. Great job on this challenge.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Rhonda, I adore your dragon! He should be the star of his own children's storybook. Although maybe not strictly fractured, it has great depth and ephemeral quality.
Cherie

LAQuilts said...

Brilliant using the sheer bubbles - it does fracture it without the fussiness of actually fracturing the background

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Rhonda, I'm in love with your charming dragon, too. You have to go where the quilt takes you....so not capturing the fracture aspect OK...you can try that on another quilt sometime. The floaty bubbles and drifting clouds are perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. It's beautiful and full of texture.
Cynthia

Pam Harris said...

Great Dragon. He has so much personality!! Your quilt has great texture with the variety of fabrics and thread work and your color combination is very pleasing. Nice job!