Tuesday, March 29, 2011

BUTTERFLY BALLET



I have posted Butterfly Ballet to the album and the blog. The green leaves are all individually cut from many 'fancy' fabrics and fused onto hand dyed silk dupioni sky, then stitched to backing and batting to quilt. I created all 9 butterflies again using lots of different fabrics. They are backed and interfaced with a very stiff interfacing enabling them to 'stand' on their own. The large one has very thin copper wire stitched between the layers and can be shaped easily. It is mounted gallery wrap style and measures 11"x14". I posted a 2nd picture taken from the side to show the dimension. Another fun challenge! Comments are gratefully received Cherie

9 comments:

ann said...

Absolutely WONDERFUL! I've often attempted butterflies. Failed every time. These are actually flying. How delightful.

Meena said...

Love the 3 dimesionality and variety of butterflies.
meena

Susan B said...

Cool! Gotta love dancing butterflies. Both the grasses and the butterflies show movement.

Jan said...

Butterflies are relaxing anytime & this piece has that relaxing movement to it.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cherie, this is a sweet, lively piece...nice work!

Pam Harris said...

Very elegant. Great job on the butterflies. I like the variety of greens and the hint of iridescence you used for the grass.

Linda Mac said...

I thought I left a comment earlier, but see it didn't appear. I must have clicked on "preview" instead of "publish". I like the movement in the leaves as well as the gorgeous butterflies. Nice job.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love the way the butterflies stand out, lot's of movement in the foliage. very nice.

Anonymous said...

Lovely piece with a lot of movement. Looking at it I can feel the breeze that is blowing the leaves and causing the butterflies to dance. I can tell you really enjoyed creating this unique 3D piece.