Saturday, March 05, 2011

Uphill Both Ways


On a recent vacation to a mountainous region, we had the privilege of walking the children to school each morning. We were stunned, when after walking uphill to the school we found that the return trip was also uphill and seemed even steeper than the walk to school.


When I saw the challenge to use curvilinear forms, my initial journal sketch of the walk to school became the inspiration for this quilt "Uphill Both Ways." It is approximately 10" x 10" and is fused and minimally quilted to enhance the curved roadways between the house and the school.
Thank you for this challenge, I really enjoyed working on it. Ticia Wicks

6 comments:

fastfriday said...

This is delightful! Not only are the paths interesting, but I do like your fabric choices of the hills.
Chris Predd

Julia in NZ said...

The curves of the path and the hills are perfect for the challenge. I like the humour in the title, and the whimsy in the house and school.

janice pd said...

Ticia I adore this! I don't think I have ever seen curvy paths up and down hills that were done as effectively as this. Great job!

Susan Ward said...

This is very cool! Lov it

Linda Mac said...

Love this piece. Simple, uncluttered, and very effective.

Betty Donahue said...

So cute. Wonderful job.
Betty