Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pond


We live in northern Michigan on a small lake, in the woods. The lake is very quiet and home to loons, herons, otters and all sorts of fun critters. I love to kayak around the lake and at the north end there is a large bed of white waterlilies that I paddle through. In the late afternoon that side of the lake is in deep shadow and the lilies glow. Its a very peaceful place and I have wanted to capture that feeling. This challenge came along at just the right time.

In reality the lily pads are thicker but I wanted the more water to show.

I pieced the background with batiks and hand-dyes in blues and brown and stitched the background before adding the composition. The lilies and lily-pads are fused then free-motion stitched. I used a variety of white and white-on-white for the individual lily leaves. The lilies have yellow thread-painted stamens that don't show up well in the photo.

This piece is 14" x 20" and on stretcher bars. I use a staple gun and then cover the back of the frame with muslin and attach eye bolts and wire. I like this finish for small works.

October 3: I took some detail shots of the lilypads using just my camera's flash instead of my photo setup lights. The detail comes through better, I think.




Kathie from Charlevoix

13 comments:

ann said...

Stricking! I think this is an excellent example of the 'C' technique. Those water lilies pop.

Carole said...

Hi Kathie... it is so nice to see your first piece posted to the blog. Well done! I am wondering if there should be some 'glints' in the water near the lilies... just to give a sense of direction from whence the light comes?
Just a thought... and so happy you could do this!

Betty Donahue said...

This is beautiful and I do like Carole's idea of the "glints".
Betty

fastfriday said...

I love your Lilypond. The strata background is so effective. I also agree some glints would be great. Good work.

Pat Havey

Linda Mac said...

Love the colors you chose for the ripples and shadows on the water. You achieved the effect of movement. Great contrast with the lilies. Striking piece.

Wendy said...

I love water lillies... one of the things I miss living here in the southwest. The strata work well and with the others, I think some glints of light or reflection would add some dimension. I know our photos are not always clearly representational of our work, but I don't see a lot of details in the lilies... what if you outlined them a bit for more definition?

LAQuilts said...

I love this. The lilies are great. Maybe a few more shades of white to make therm a little more dimensional. Also a few glints in the water would be effective. You could easily accomplish that with some quilting in a lighter thread.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathie, This is gorgeous! Definitely a chiaroscuro dramatic piece. I'm glad you pushed the contrasts with the light lights and dark darks...it makes it an eye-catching piece. Well balanced composition with a feeling of peaceful on the surface with subtle movement in the depths
Great job...glad you are part of the group and I look forward to seeing lots more of your work!
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the commented and suggestions. I think I had too much light on the piece when I photograhed it since the detail in the lilies doesn't show. Will take a detail shot tomorrow and post it, I am so excited to be part of this talented group.

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to say someone has purchased "Pond" after viewing it on my website. Thanks, Cynthia, for this challenge.

Pam Harris said...

Congratulations on the sale of your quilt!! I can see why it sold, a very pleasing, soothing piece.

Carole said...

Congratulations!! Kathie...that says it all...

fastfriday said...

I enjoyed your detail shots of the lilies and leaves. Well done. Even though it is a white flower, if there is a strong light source, there will be some dark shadows among the petals.
Love the variety in the 'water' fabrics.

Congrats on the sale!
Karol