Friday, September 03, 2010

Printed Circuit Board Study #1


This piece is an attempt to create what I hope is an obvious representation of a printed circuit board. It started with a black resist over which I applied emerald green Jaquard Dyna Flow paint, To indicate solder spots I used a gold leafing pen. The red 'resistors' are simple fabric beads. If you are curious about why they are placed where they are, it is because there were some really big blobs of resist under them. Wire goes through the fabric beads, but does not show in the photo. In the corners and a couple of other spots there are small holes created with a stitch on my machine which do not show up well because of my choice of thread color. The border is some old commercially printed fabric that represents technology components.

For me, a lot of the fun of the challenges is the thinking that precedes the work. (Often way too grand and unrealistic). I started off envisioning a great work about 'conflict minerals and conflict metal', perhaps even using some actual PCB's. I took time to 1) explore where I could find some discarded ones, the dump, 2) explore what are the environments impacted by 'conflict metals', some are rain forests, 3) consider ways that one could represent the PCB on fabric, screen printing, stencils, free hand drawing/painting and dyeing, applique, using actual metals. Considered what I could try out in the time I had available, considered whether this whole of idea of statement pieces about 'conflict minerals' could have legs and even become the basis for a series. (I share this because I wonder if I am the only one who goes off on these flights of imagination about the possibilities of making big statements with our work or am I just one intense woman of a certain age.)

Of course the reality of what can be accomplished in the time allowed combined with the existing skills I have came crashing in. Then I remembered that the challenge was for the piece to be adventurous and optimistic. So I optimistically tried to use a new technique in cheerful colors. Am very happy that I did it and am grateful to Sandy for this terrific challenge.




6 comments:

Jan said...

What a neat way to portray metal! When I first glanced at your piece I thought 'maze' but then could easily see the circuit board when reading. How creative!

Sandy said...

A very interesting direction to go, with the computer circuit board. It works well.

I also think your choice of border fabric is brilliant. Was it already about computers too? or did it just connect that way when you saw it.

The one thing I might suggest is to add a small white or yellow round "resister" looking bead in the bottom left side of the circuit. I think it would balance the red ones. Or it might just want to be turned so the red resisters are at the bottom. Visually they are "heavy", so unless you are intentionally creating tension...they either need a balance or to be positioned near the bottom where a heavy piece would be.

I think it would be good to make several of these and work out a way to create an interesting larger piece of work! I think there are alot of computer buffs that would be interested.
Sandy

LAQuilts said...

Interesting to note that circuit boards are somewhat complimentary colors. Perfect gift for your techie friend. I've seen lots of craft items out of old circuit boards.

Carole said...

Very clever Betty.. and so effective.. I agree with Sandy re: the red.. but that is likely just a matter of rotating the piece. That 'old commercially printed fabric' certainly is the right border for your piece. I never realized circuit boards are along the labrynth lines..
Well done!

Betty Warner said...

Thanks for your comments - Sandy, you are right about it being unbalanced and top heavy. I can fix that with a combination of rotation and some additional components. Also, appreciate your comment on the potential for the appeal of a larger work with PCBs. The old fabric is definitely supposed to represent computer technology. I have been waiting for a long time for some use of the old, impulsive, buy.

fastfriday said...

I do believe here in Silicon valley you could sell this quilt in a heart beat. What a fun and inovative idea. I like the ideas of turning it and adding balance.

Pat Havey