Friday, September 03, 2010

In the beginning




In the beginning I learned how to sew on a treadle machine at my grandmothers house. Since that time it seems most of the really meaningful things in my life have started with a machine that looks like this. When I started my career as a costumer I- worked on an ol industrial machine thaqt looked like a converted treadle. That was in the beginning - - - The machine in the photo is a treadle my son gave me many years ago.

All the metalic threads radiate out to the many aspects of my life from the machine. I have used metalic thread, paint, fabric, and of coourse the machine is metalic colors. It measures 22/16. The edges are finished with metalic gold braid and are all uneven

I highlighted the machine around the edge of the dark fabrics with gold lumier paint and bumped up the other highlights on the machine. - Thanks again for the help!
Pat Havey

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow Pat, I admire your skill to do all those inset squares! Especially in metallic fabric. and how brave to do the shaped edging. Was it piped or faced and then the braid added. not easy I am sure!

Pretty awesome to have a machine with gold in the title. I think the image gets a little lost on the background. Would you consider taking a gold paintstick to lighten the dark patches just next to the machine for about 1/2 in to help it stand out more? A bit like the icon images. I am not sure how it would work without looking like a halo, but it might help to bring the machine forward.

I think the metallic threads running across help to pull the whole piece together. It must look very interesting in person.
Sandy

Tobi said...

I love the shape, coordinated with the squares in the design. If you had coordinated the pieces behind the machine to be not quite so dark, it would let the machine stand out better; maybe you could use just a bit of Lumiere paint to do that.

Carole said...

I am in awe that you could put this together like you did.. I love the shape. I would have instantly put it on a background and satin stitched it down, but this is so effective. I can only agree.. that machine is too lovely to not be able to see it... I am sure you will find a way, if you do, please post it.
Great job.

Betty Warner said...

This is so shiny and complex. Wow! I agree with the others about the machine blending in to the background and that it is fixable. Would also love to see when done. Nice interpretation and great response to the challenge.

Jan said...

This is a great little piece! Just how big is it? The perspective is super and the shiny fabric depicts gold quite well. Your quilting stitches help move your eye around the piece bringing you right back to the machine each time.

Sandy said...

Hi Pat,
I can't work out what you did! But whatever it was, it has worked so well that it doesn't look like it is "fixed".

It is hard to take photos of shiny fabrics, too, so some of what we were seeing may not be such a problem when you see it in real life.
Well done!
Sandy