Thursday, September 02, 2010

Let the Sunshine In


I was beginning to think I would have to pass on this one because I couldn't think of an idea. I wasted all of Friday trying to think of something.


Saturday morning I looked up and noticed a metal sun that had been given to me and that set off a spark.


The metal I used was the sunflower, bottle caps are holding the yo-yo flowers, a gold chain is the fence wire and metallic thread was used for the leaves veins and outline and also to top stitch the binding.


It is 24" x 20-3/4"

6 comments:

Carole said...

What a fun! and sunny! piece... I love it, so happy.
I really like the way you found a way to make bottle caps look like yo-yo's. and a wire fence, no less.
You have added more metal in yours than I did...LOL

Sandy said...

How cool is that! I am glad you saw the metal sun.
What I like about this piece is that it doesn't say "She did this for a challenge to put metal on a quilt!"
The whole piece really works well together as the composition was made as a whole and not with the sun as an after thought. I like how the edge treatment reflects the colour of the sunflowers.

and talk about optimism! I think that sun surely fits that part of it! What a nice day, I think I will take a walk through the sunflowers!

I am glad it all came together for you. Maybe you will see other things that want to be in a quilt.
Sandy

Cherie in Del Mar said...

How adorable is this! Is anything happier than a 'smiling' sun and cheerful sunflowers? What a cool idea to use the chain for your fence, very effective.
Challenge certainly met!
Cherie

Betty Warner said...

This piece could have been made out of a variety of materials. What a perfect fit your metals were. The border and binding on this make it a really wonderful, finished piece. Lots of metal, lots of optimism, definitely met the challenge.

fastfriday said...

definately a happy piece! I love the repetition of shape and color in the flowers to mimiv the sun. Good composition!

Pat Havey

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is such a cute piece, and the scale and proportion of the sun works very well.