Saturday, September 04, 2010

Sunrise Seagull


21 1/2" x 16 1/2"

10/18 - Finished! I added quilting lines to the beach to follow the water line, a little bit to the trees, and got it firmly mounted on foam core which helped smooth it all out!
------------
Sunrise always seems a time of optimism, if you are awake enough to enjoy it! I picked up the material for the tree fairly recently, not sure what I would use it for, but the copper fits this theme, especially since I made the sunrise reflection from other coppery fabrics. I layered fabrics for the sea and sky, with the top full layer being a sparkle organza. The organza puckered as I sewed the seagull on, but in a way, that seems to enhance the image. The pink lines are scraps of tulle to add a sunrise color.

The biggest impediment to posting this sooner was that after I had quilted the lower portion, I found one of the seagull reflection's wings had folded, so I had to undo the quilting to straighten it!

Thanks, Sandy, for a neat challenge! Comments and suggestions welcome.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Tobi,
I like the technique you used for the reflection on the water. Very effective. I think the piece is composed well, and I think you might like the rectangular shape better once you finish the edge.

I agree with you about the texture in the sky. I think without it, it would be too flat, especially since you have done such a good job with reflections and shadows. Had you considered a shadow for the tree?

I wonder if a few copper rays on the yellow portion of the sunset behind the sun might also give a bit more umph to the sun?
I don't know what edge you are aiming for, but it might be fun to do a zigzag edge in copper thread...except for the land portion, which could be in black or dark grey. It would highlight your coppery portions.

I am quite interested in the effect of the pink running across the sunset. It really works well. It really does bring tropical sunsets to mind!
Sandy

LAQuilts said...

Funny - you too picked the same sunrise as optimist - great minds think alike. If you do crop - cropping the left hand tree would be a good choice.

Carole said...

Tobi, I really want to comment on this.. it is so you.. I love the sky and water, especially the reflection.. and the rock on which the tree[s] is perched is very interesting.I am not sure about the tree[s] tho'... I should be able to say why, but cannot put my finger on it. Mind you photos often look different than in real.
I like the shape as it is now, no squaring or shaping..maybe just follow the edges?

fastfriday said...

I love the shape of you piece. You are drawn to the bird rather than the edge. Your clouds and refledtions are wonderful. The bit of copper in the water is brilliant. I agree however that there is something about the tree that is a bit bothersome. You really have to think about it to realize it is two trees and not a bird or animal. Good work!

Pat Havey