Saturday, December 04, 2010

Challenge 51: "In and Out" by Sue from NC



Using a square as my shape, I wanted to explore color perception for this challenge.

I used an acrylic painting by Frank Stella "Double Scramble: Value Scales, Yellow & Spectrum" reproduced and discussed in the book "Color in Contemporary Painting" by Charles Le Clair as my starting point.



My original design using mid to dark value purple squares to complete the larger square seemed to diminish the optical illusion of spatial depth. (see photo below).


My revised design (top) uses implied squares to maximize the color effect. There are no quilting lines through any of the blocks. The apparent "lines" are optical illusions.

Great challenge.

Comments welcome.

10 comments:

fastfriday said...

This is a really striking design. I love the depth that you achieved in the second version of the piece.
The revised design is beautiful. Ticia

Unknown said...

This is really nice eye candy. A very effective use of squares and I really like the finished setting of them. You did a great job!

Wendy said...

Stunning. Your piecing is great and the overall efffect is spectacular. Great depth, color, and movement. I love it!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Spectacular way to use the simple square, this piece has so much depth and feeling of awe. Wonderful job.

LAQuilts said...

Is this pained or pieced? I love the top one defiantly does well for the dimension. I think the bottom is delightful. I wonder what it would look like with he dark toward the middle for the bottom left square, or maybe mimicking the green from the top right.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sue, very hip squares! Love the glowing feel and the depth/dimension. Great job
Cynthia

Carole said...

Sue the colors is this are so very striking. I like the revised edition.. the diagonal set over the square makes it come forward against a glowing background. Great job on this!.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wow, this is a terrific example of color perception. The longer I look at it, the more the pattern seems to shift, first popping forward and then suddenly retreating. Nice work!
Cherie

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

The revised version of this is definitely more dynamic with the squares contrasting with the diagonals. Your color choices are what make this work. I love the changing perspective.

Valerie W. said...

I love the revised version as well. It is quite stunning! The daigonlas definitely creates a dynamic tension in the piece.

Val F.