Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Marriage?"

Here is the finished version of this piece, at least as finished as it's going to get.   I tried to incorporate as many of the critique suggestions as I could, and I definitely think that cropping off the left side helped the composition.  All of the areas are quilted now, although the thread I used on the dark and light purplish areas does not show up well in the photo.  This won't be one of my all time favorites, but I am glad that I learned more about this art movement, and I enjoyed seeing the many different interpretations.   




Here is my piece called "Marriage?" I guess other than binding, it is done. I was fascinated to read about and learn about color field painting and the various artists that worked in the style. I enjoyed very spontaneously creating this piece by arriving at a general idea then cutting the pieces freehand. I liked the batik textures because they has some similarities to the depth and texture of paint on canvas. I frayed the edges of the fabric to make them less hard-edged.

All that said, I'm not thrilled with the end result. It was a fun and informative process, but I don't feel a lot of love for this finished quilt. I wonder if I should do more quilting on the color forms? It seems that the plain flat fabric is more in the color field style. The shape of the pink piece is annoying me, and I also would like to make the blue fabric in the middle darker, but don't know how to do that without making a big mess.

I forgot to mention, this is 23" x 20."

Comments and suggestions welcome - Sharon

13 comments:

Veronica said...

Sharon: I like the colors, especially the way the light blue draws you in and the way the dark area on the right receeds. When I looked closely it appeared that only the slate blue was quilted. Have you thought of quilting the other colors/shapes in a similar manner? I think that might make the piece more cohesive. Really nice piece. Veronica

Sharon Robinson said...

Veronica, yes, I was thinking about that, I liked that the quilting made the background recede, but then if it's all just color fields, there is no "background," right? So quilt I will.

Betty Warner said...

Sharon, this response to the challenge has a great feel to it. It seems as free and spontaneous as you say that its creation was. I like the organic shapes you have used. It definitely reminds me of some of the work done by the 'color field' painters whose work I looked at. I think you will like it better after you quilt it some more. If you using threads to tone down the couple of pieces you are not happy with, it may make all the difference. Great job responding to the challenge!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sharon, This piece has potential...good for you for jumping in free form. The only critique I have is about the pink and green pieces seeming a bit out of place. The light blue is perfect and what a wonderful shape...and the black and purple add structure and balance. If this was my quilt, I would crop off half the pink and green shapes (about through the middle of the purple shape that connects them), and quilt it to death! I would probably use an organic type stipple in the color fiels...maybe even give it a color wash by using the same color thread on all the color patches, maybe the background thread color or that light blue. Just a few thoughts. Good job...I think you are onto something here!
Cynthia

janice pd said...

I agree with Cynthia about cropping the left side. That will create more variety in the sizes of the fields. Someone told me when they saw one of my pieces that I "got seduced by the cloth and had no focal point" which is exactly what color field painting is. I think you have a great start here and if you continue with the quilting and even some embellishing you can have a wonderful piece.

Carole said...

I can only agree... Stay with this one...

:Diane said...

Another vote for cropping off the left fourth of the piece. It would reduce the identical-ness of the two light purple shapes and give the light blue piece more prominence as a divider - giving more tension to the piece. I would quilt the blue piece with more lines echoing the shape. Maybe quilt the purple shape on upper left in a dark thread to help balance out the dark shapes on the right. A great beginning. Hope you play with it some more.
:Diane - yarngoddess

LAQuilts said...

Seems like a good start. I would add more stitching and in the colors beside gray. I would also co insider stitching each color different or in a different color thread. Actually it would be stunning if you quilted each color in gray or black thread.

Sharon Robinson said...

Thanks for all the good comments, I really appreciate the thoughtfulness. I was going to give it up but you have all encouraged me to keep at it. I really like the idea of hacking off the left side - Since I posted it I have quilted the blue shape with some variegated blue thread in what I had hoped would be thread sketching, but looks more like child scribbling. :( I'll be back after quilting some more.

fastfriday said...

To me, the pink and green shapes are too grey and shapes/edges are too regular. The color of thread you use in the quilting can dramatically change the final look. Unroll some lighter thread and put on top of those shapes. Does it brighten it? Do you like it better?

Judy Rys

Unknown said...

Your finished version is much better...I like the negative space more and I don't find it as distracting (in your earlier version my eye sort of didn't know where to go).

While you count is as "an experience" I think that after leaving it for a while and not looking at it you'll feel a lot better about it. You might even come up with some more ideas of what to do to take it a little farther.

I find it difficult when in my minds eye I see something and my hands don't quite seem to get there...especially when trying something new. So, don't be so hard on yourself! (says the queen of being hard on herself. :) )

Sharon Robinson said...

Thanks, Lisa!

Pam Harris said...

Completely different mood from the original--seems more complex and intriguing. Cropping and quilting made a major difference. Thank you for taking the plunge to cut up your work. I find it very liberating and frequently cut up projects that don't work.