Friday, December 31, 2010

Circles





Although the photo is cropped, I have not actually bound the edges yet. Today was a holiday and so I spent most of it working on this challenge. I had the idea for awhile and my sewing room was recently decluttered for its other use as a guest room over the holidays, so finding stuff and actually sewing was amazingly easy and quite satisfying!

The circles done by Kenneth Noland appealed to me and I did a lot of quilting on this even though his works seem quite flat because I needed some practice. I like the way the turquoise silk pops out. The edges of it are raw and already fraying so they are "softened." I didn't fuse everything down. I cut open rings to avoid having so much bulk to stitch through. I just used a few dots of glue to hold them until I quilted. The center circle is more greenish yellow that it appears on my monitor. I'm tired after a full day of sewing, but it was really fun to do something so different.


I look forward to your comments.
:Diane - yarngoddess

11 comments:

Carole said...

Hi diane... this is what I sense would fit the challenge. The more time goes by, piecs and comments are forthcoming, a 'methodology' is beginning to form. So, whilst I cannot critique your piece, I do like it and think you did a very good job!

LAQuilts said...

I do like the circle. I think having it off center might make it a little a more interesting composition. Try cropping it with the photo and see what you think.

Betty Warner said...

This is a great example of what some of the color field artists did. I like the way the center draws me in causing me to examine it more closely, making me stop right there.
Terrific challenge response!

fastfriday said...

When I look at this piece, I'm reminded of standing over an open can of paint ready to dive in with my paint brush. Maybe that's because I've been helping my daughter paint her house this week. I like the contrast, but I agree with the LA Quilts about maybe making this a little off-center.

Veronica said...

Hi Diane: The grey texture in the grey background is terrific, as is the irregular shape of the blue fabric. I also like the quilting that you did in the yellow section. Veronica Von Zwehl

:Diane said...

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughtful comments immensely. I think I will leave the circle centered since that is more in keeping with the circle paintings by Noland.

Unknown said...

Your piece really draws me into the center of it, where I get to enjoy all the quilting. The colors are wonderful together and the gray grounds the piece. A very nice work which speaks to what I understand to be colorfield.

Wendy said...

Great colors and stitching... I too would love to see it with off center cropping or reduction of negative space....

:Diane said...

Thanks, Wendy, reducing the negative space was a good idea. I posted a new photo with that edit.

:Diane - yarngoddess

Pam Harris said...

much better cropped. Thanks for reposting.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

I guess I like it better with more background--somehow that extra negative space gives it a bit of mystery that it loses, for me, when it's cropped. I also love that turquoise! Great job.