Sunday, December 05, 2010

Convergence


21" x 21"

I knew that I did not want a traditional shape for this one; I used Photoshop to create a rounded star shape out of ovals, and then printed it in a wide range of sizes.  Initially I had thought of overlapping the shape to get a vortex shading from bright red to yellow, but did not like the low contrast between contiguous shapes.  I then went to alternate contrasting colors, added a black/white/gray series and a brown series.  This just reminded me of what I called my mother-in-law's "world's worst quilt" which was a random overlapping of flowers made from circles of all sorts of fabric types and colors.  However, with raw edge satin stitching, I managed to get more delineation between the shapes.

I then added black stitching to tie the five series of shapes together, added another stitching with a different stitch, and it still needed more.  Finally I hit on using the black rick-rack, which echoes the shape, and that pulled it all together.

I welcome your comments on this piece.

7 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, cool starfish shapes and I love the background...it shimmers nicely. Lots of good contrasts in pattern and values, too. The black rickrack is interesting, but I wonder if it's really needed or is a bit of a distraction?
Great job!
Cynthia

Pam Harris said...

You chose an interesting shape and good layering but I feel the black rick-rack detracts from the design. Great colors and movement with the variety of shapes and orientation.

Carole said...

I really like the shape you chose Tobi.. and I also enjoy the overlapping giving it a flower garden feel. I, too agree the black rickrack is distracting... my first thought was how nice buttons would be on those flower centers... but perhaps you had already auditioned that possiblity...

Wendy said...

Tobi, you are the queen of irregularly shaped quilts....I saw starfish too, and agree with the gals, the black rick rack is a bit distracting.... Something cool in the center of the stars would have added the movement it needs. Shimmer and color are great.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I really love the starfish shape repeated in so many different sizes. The color mix is great against the sand colored background. I agree with others that the rickrack is a distraction, just doesn't feel like it belongs.
Cherie

:Diane said...

Tobi,
The arrangement of light and dark seems well balanced. I like that the lightest one is not smack-dab in the middle.
Maybe the rick-rack which seems to bother at least six of us could be arranged in another way and be less distracting. Or maybe a different color of rick-rack.

The design of the rick-rack echos the rounded pointy shapes so it could be an asset. Maybe stitch a short piece of rick-rack (five points) into a circle and lay them around... I know it sounds fiddley. Buttons would be easier.

:Diane - yarngoddess

fastfriday said...

Layered flowers and colors good..maybe a colored rick-rack into a bow like a nosegay...and rounded edges like the flowers.
Janice Simpson