Friday, December 03, 2010

Moon Bouquet

One of my personal challenges for FFC is to use what I have (cuz I have a lot of stash!) As I was cleaning out bins this fall, I found a set of circles from another project and that really was the starting point for the whole challenge. I literally threw them on the design wall and got an idea....
I started by cleaning them up (cranky edges and whatnot), then spray basted them to a piece of stabilizer, re-arranging until I had circles going in a spiral design. Did some trimming and then sewed them to the stablizer. The back is a random piece of fabric from the discard pile and this really is the shape... its hanging on my white design wall. The edges are overcast in matching colors (the one I don't like is the brown on the cream colored circle at the top, but maybe that sort of contains it!). Machine quilts with lots of different threads. I'm thinking it might be a nice table topper for my dining table.
Great fun... and ladies, you have done a fabulous job on this challenge! I'm really happy with the results!
And now to go finish holiday gifts!

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Comments, of course, are welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

This is a really nice piece. You sure have a lot of great looking scraps/leftovers! The turqoise and gold really pop amid the brown tones. The placement looks like the circles are spiraling outward.

Kathy said...

You got all the elements going on in this one! Great layout, nice placement of the focal point, very effective use of similar tones and interesting from far and near. Awesome!

Joni said...

Wendy, I love your warm colors and the way the circles interact.

LAQuilts said...

Very cool. Are the circles just the quilt if are they mounted on a cream background? I can't really tell, I like them just as circles.

Wendy said...

The cream background is my design wall.... the quilt is shaped with circular edges... overcast edges on the curves. Hard to photograph and get that concept.... thanks for your question.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great job Wendy. Love the depth that you've achieved and a lot of movement to this piece. This has been such a great challenge!

Betty Donahue said...

Love that you used what you already had. Wonderful.
Betty

Veronica said...

The use of one cool colored circle juxtaposed against all of the warm colored circles is very effective. Its also great that the circles form the shape of the quilt - you didn't try to force all the circles into a square! Great job.

Carole said...

Wendy, this is interesting... I too, like the cool blue with the warm hues. I feel the cream colored circle between the two browns gives the piece balance against the large brown circle anchoring the bottom. The very dark one next to the blue really draws the viewer in... one is just right!
A great challenge.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, Love the overall shape of the piece and the great texture in your hand dyed fabrics. It's very neat with a similiar amount of overlapping on the circles...would it be interesting to add a erratic or stray circle or two?
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I'll bet this looks great on your table...good idea. I really like the variety of quilting patterns and your southwest color scheme is one of my all time fav's
Cherie