Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rectangles

I apologize for these being so late, but I thought I had better get them up. I actually finished the bigger one at left (as far as the quilting and the stitching goes) in time...but I found myself playing that "what if" game. I seem to think that I am wonder woman and can do it all.

My choice of shapes was rectangles. I randomly cut them from quilter's lame and either layered them on top of or underneath florist's organdy ribbon in gold. I left the edges raw because I wanted to add in the texture of the fraying edges. I'm not convinced that that was a good idea and I might try to upload a photo tomorrow that shows that better.

The entire piece measures 29" (w) x 26 1/2" (h).

I wondered how beads would look in it...and I laid these rectangular pieces of imitation tiger's eye on top. I think I like it, but I'm not convinced.

I made this smaller version, 13" w x 12" tall to make sure that my tension and choice of quilting elements were what I wanted. I quilted it by coming down in two lines in the center of the rectangle then splitting out and outlining it....sort of like a paddle, and coming back in again at the bottom of the rectangle. I quilted it using Valdani hand dyed thread in a variegated color called "Volcano" which is cherry red, gold and a lighter shade of gold.

After quilting it, I wondered again about beads. I started beading around the edge of the smaller one to see how I liked it. I like it a lot on the small one, but I think it wouldn't look as well on the larger piece. The smaller beads work well on the smaller piece to give it extra interest and texture, but I think they would be distracting on the larger piece.

This is way out of the box for me as I usually do realistic images and I rarely bead. I took a class with Mary Stori and liked it, but I haven't done much with it.
Critques are always welcome. And next time, when I'm working with 100% silk, I'll zigzag the edges before I start working on it!

Lisa Broberg Quintana (Michigoose)

4 comments:

Marilyn Wall said...

Lisa you are amazing. I wish you would give yourself some slack and not be so hard on yourself. You deserve a little down time.

Unknown said...

Lol...I just feel like it is ALL down time. I think it is my desire to do it and the disgust that my body isn't co-operating. This is a new phase for me, so bear with my whining all. :)

fastfriday said...

I like the interplay of the red silk and the gold rectangles. The quilting is very nice too. Rosemary in St. Louis

Wendy said...

Great tension in this piece...the red and yellow are great. I like it without the beads, really.... being of the less-is-more school of thought.
A tip for working with silk: I fuse it to a lightweight garmet interfacing like French Fuse, then cut. It doesn't change the hand of the silk in most cases and it helps reduce fraying.
Thanks for participating!