Thursday, October 22, 2009

Astronomical Event



I have GOT to be the last to finish! Please take a look at my really fast entry (about 4 hours) – Astronomical Event. I decided to let one of my very first hand-dyed fabrics do the work. After quilting with several colors of metallic threads in a firey starburst design, I layered some holographic shredded cellophane under some sparkly dark gold tulle and again stitched over it with gold metallic threads. Then I melted this addition to give it a more lacey-spacey effect, floating through space. Comments welcome, even though this isn’t my best work….I got the urge to do this challenge and just sat down and did it. Hope to be a bit more timely next time!

Gail Myrhorodsky

3 comments:

janice pd said...

I like the way you stitched the star burst. YOur hand dyed really fit this theme. IMO the silver overpowers this. What would happen if you balance it by putting some of this technique in the center of your burst or small areas coming from the edges at the bottom left and top right? Glad posted!

fastfriday said...

Thanks Janice, that's not a bad idea. Maybe some Angelina would be a little more subtle though. There is not too much subtle about shredded celophane! You should have seen it before I melted back some of it - WAY over the top! (lol) gail

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Gail, I think the crystalline markings of the background fabric...it goes with the icy cellophane. Maybe another area or two of sparkly would balance it? It could be the gold is so warm and the blue and silvery is so cool that it creates a bit of a clash?
Glad you joined us...I look forward to seeing more!
Cynthia