Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Planet Wihet by Vivien Zepf


This is my first challenge with the group and I've been looking forward to participating. Unfortunately, yesterday was my first day in the studio for weeks, so I tasked myself to create something in a day. It's not the most marvelous piece ever, but I'm glad I did it. It was a good way to reacquaint myself with my sewing machine and supplies.

The planet is made from a piece of fabric from my stash that I had painted. I rubbed paint sticks over some sequin waste and raised paper to create the "glow" around the planet. I used a sheer (my first time!) to create the wisps around the planet and colored on them after quilting so that they had more contrast. For lack of a better idea, I free-motioned meander quilted the background; a mistake, I think, but I couldn't think of anything else to do. (It also looks wretched because I used some batting I had lying about that got all puffy and icky as I used it. ) I used metallic silver thread to augment the glow, along with some purple rayon thread. The finished piece is 14 x 16 1/2.

Thanks for looking and for your critique.
Vivien

8 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love how you used the sequin waste to create that aura around the planet.

janice pd said...

you can tame some of the puffiness of the batting by steam pressing on the reverse. I like the effects you've created with the paint sticks and stitching and wonder if you could do more in the background for additional interest. Great name, too!

Vivien Zepf said...

Janice -- I agree the background needs more, but wasn't satisfied with the metallic silver french knots I had stitched (and subsequently took out) or the bead I scattered about. Ideas?

Suzanne Sanger said...

I agree that you need more quilting in the background, that would eliminate the puffiness of the batting immediately. Great use of the sequin waste! I'm hoping to get my hands on some of that as soon as I'm back in FL and the holiday season draws near. Nice job on this, Vivien!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Vivien, good to have you with us and I look forward to seeing more of your work. This piece has a wonderful glow to it...good job!
Cynthia

Donna said...

Hi Vivian
I think the composition is sucessful and I love the glow and soft wispy clouds accross the planet. Press will help the puffyness and next time you might experiment with echo-quilting.
Donna

janice pd said...

I'm late getting back to this, sorry. My suggestion for something more in the background is to use machine or hand stitching to create some gaseous swirls...subtle but there. Don't be concerned with going over the meander quilting you've already done, no quilt police here to tell you not to cross over stitching. That will immediately give another dimension and depth. You could also try simply stitching more of the clouds across the background, maybe in metallics? After more stitching, think of areas you can use the shiva to accent it without killing your focus. Okay, you asked, but JMHO!

fastfriday said...

I think this is really pretty and the creative use of sequin waste was very effective. I am sure some of the quilting ideas would be a nice addition. It is very etheral (hope I spelled that correctly).
Elaine Koenig