Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chickadee Antics




I love chickadees and if you all remember I posted a single bird last winter. After doing that my guild asked if I'd teach a class on how to do the bird and get some realism to their work. I'd not done this before but finally agreed to it. Last summer I began to make this piece to use as an example of the difference paint and thread painting could make to a subject (photo #3). I had both birds completed but only one painted (the upper right bird in photo #3)) to show the difference paint made. I needed to finish this quilt anyhow so I got it out yesterday, finished painting the lower left bird, thread painted both birds, quilted it all, and now it's ready to share. I've also included photos (#2) of the winter chickadee I did last winter for this group and then the summer chickadee (#1) I did these two to show the participants the difference background color would make. Sorry I didn't get the photos placed in the right order. I hope numbering helps differentiate. The first two are about 11" x 16" and the double chickadee pair just completed is about 18" x 24".


I do so enjoy animals anyhow that I hope to get another new animal quilt started and completed yet for this month's challenge.

10 comments:

janice pd said...

Wow jan, this is wonderful. I can see why you are in demand for classes. Great job!

Chris Predd said...

this are just delightful, Jan. thanks for sharing.......

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I used to have a pine tree outside my kitchen window and the chickadees would visit there. Your chickadees are wonderful. Thanks for showing all the different backgrounds.

fastfriday said...

Your chickadees are adorable. Brings back some nice memories for me too.
Gail M

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh Jan...I want to take a class from you. These birds are delightful! Thanks for the lovely comparison.
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great work! I really like the one with pine needles.

Wen said...

Great compositions, I can't decide which I like better.
Nicely done.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Jan - These are lovely. It amazes me to say so but the one with the (ugh) pink background is my favorite! (I really loathe pinkish stuff). But the composition is so lovely. The one you completed for this challenge is also a beauty - love the pine needles and the different orientation of the birds.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, I love chickadees, too. Your birds are perfect. The summer piece has more contrast and feels more complete and grounded in the surroundings than the other two....but I love them all!
Cynthia

Vivien Zepf said...

Wow, these are great! Can't wait to see what else you create!