Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sweet Schnauzer
16" x 20"
fused, thread-painted, FMQ

This challenge came along about the same time that I had a commission to do a pet portrait of this special little dog. He was a much loved pet who died this past summer and two friends decided his owners needed a portrait. So I combined the Fast Friday Challenge and the commission. I finished the portrait including the quilting and a black border but failed to take a picture - something I rarely forget. So I'm posting the little fellow before the piece was finished. This photo was one of many I took to audition backgrounds - this was the winner! His owners loved the quilt as a remembrance of their precious little dog.

Your comments are always welcome. Thanks.

14 comments:

Gerrie said...

So cute and realistic. I like the richness of the background fabric. The curved line in the background and the text add nice interest and texture.

Joni said...

What an adorable little guy. I'm sure he is truly missed. Your thread painted is wonderful, and you captured you subject well. It's nice when our FFFC-s can bring comfort to someone else.

LAQuilts said...

Super sweet - I need to know more about the background. What does the text say?

Roberta Ranney said...

Thanks so much for your comments. Lisa - the background seems to be the type of everyday letters people used to write, nothing deep or meaningful. But I thought it added a sort of nostalgic note to the work. After it was all quilted it was even harder to read - just gave the impression of old letters.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh Roberta, I just love this little guy. What a very special way to memorialize a loved friend!
The wistful look in his eyes is so realistic...Nice work
Cherie

Vivien Zepf said...

Great use of fabrics to create this little fellow! I really love it. He looks very realistic and sweet.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Roberta, great job on capturing the sweet dog with his unique coloring and markings. I'm the owners are thrilled.
Cynthia

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great threadwork Roberta. I hope when I grow up I can do that threadwork like of some of you do :) I really like this, it is very realistic, you've certainly captured the soul of this pet :)

Della said...

What a beauty. I'm sure the new owners of this quilt are pleased.

Wendy said...

I love how you've used texture (polka dots, etc) in his face and coat. Great portrait! I'm so glad someone else did a dog!

Kathy Angel Lee said...

what an adorable piece. The new owners will certainly cherish this as a remembrance of their lost pet. The expression on his face is priceless!

janice pd said...

Love this Roberta. YOur pet portraits are just charming.

fastfriday said...

What a charmer. I would love to have one just like him. I know his owners will love having his portrait.
Elaine Koenig

Wen said...

I love the workmanship and composition of the dog, The background needs some punch though. Too plain, brown or dull.