Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fried Chicken




When I started this quilt I had intended to make a phoenix rising from the ashes. My husband said "too expected - why not a burned chicken" - therefor "Fried Chicken. The chicken is made of several layers of fabric starting with an upholstery velour topped with net stuffing to shape the leg and thigh. The top layers are organza - manipulated and burned. The wing is loose on three sides and made of purple embossed sheer. The quilt is machine pieced and machine quilted. Now that I see this on screen I realize it needs a lot more quilting which I will do when I once again have more than 5 min. Soon I hope. All critiques and criticisms are welcome. I love to have all the input I can get.
I have now added more quilting and cropped the bottom of the quilt. I think this is an improvement. What do you think?




Pat Havey

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, Pat, thanks for making me laugh out loud on a cold morning! I love this... I love the whimsey, the unexpectedness..... I had to go to the enhanced view to see the detail and I agree.... it needs more quilting.... and what would happen if you cropped it a big more? Great job....

"Rhojo" Baldwin said...

Very funny Pat! Love the burnt chicken, my family would say mine are all that way! I am wondering if a source of the flames might add balance to the bottom of the composition?

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Nice take on the 'phoenix'...you did a great job of portraying 'fried chicken'.

janice pd said...

Funny! I like the dimension of the flames and the use of the 'spit' for the chicken. I agree, more quilting in the background to balance the weight of quilting in the flames.

Wen said...

Great dimensional effects. What an clever and original idea. Very cool, er, I mean hot!!

Nina Marie said...

Fried chicken cracks me up!! I love the flowing curves and the color palette. I agree that you could really play with thread work in this piece - changing colors - adding lines - making more flames - the possibilities are endless!

Joni said...

Hi Pat, Your flames are gorgeous, but I'll bet that chicken doesn't think so. I agree with the others about more quilting and possibly some base to the fire. A very captivating piece.

Gerrie said...

The cropping and quilting has really added to the strength of this piece. It feels grounded.

LAQuilts said...

This is funny! The colors are pretty muted. I'm not sure if that is the photo or the quilt.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Pat - I love the humor in this piece! The changes you made, particularly the cropping of the bottom, greatly improved the composition. I'd love to see the dimensional chicken in person. Thanks for giving me a smile today!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Pat, You definitely took the animal kingdom theme to a different place...very funny and creative!
Cynthia

Vivien Zepf said...

HA! What a great idea and well executed! I think that cropping it was a good idea.